Department of Forensic Odontology
Forensic Odontology is the branch of dentistry which deals with the proper professional handling, examination, interpretation and the presentation of dental evidence in both the criminal and civil legal procedures. Dental identification is one of the primary identifiers as per the INTERPOL guidelines for the identification of unknown individuals. Forensic dentists may also be asked to assist in determining age, race, occupation, previous dental history and socioeconomic status of unidentified human beings. They play an integral part in the identification and age estimation during mass disasters such as earthquake, tsunamis and aviation disasters. Forensic Odontologist can also assist in the bite mark analysis during criminal investigations. There is a growing need of Forensic Odontologists in Pakistan and Rehman College of Dentistry (RCD) is the only dental school in Pakistan which has taken the initiative of establishing the Forensic Odontology Department and Forensic Laboratory.
• Dental identification and profiling.
• Disaster victim identification (DVI).
• Dental DNA analysis.
• Age estimation of fetus, children, juveniles and adults from dental sources.
• Dental report writing and giving evidence.
• Bite mark analysis according to ABFO Standards and Guidelines for Evaluating Bitemarks in legal and civil proceedings.
• Three-dimensional (3D) image analysis of dental structures.
• Advance research using 3D imaging modalities.
• Four years BDS program.
• Internship program in Forensic Odontology.